Thursday, September 18, 2014

What to Wear?!?!

Whether it's a family of three or an extended family portrait, I'm often asked, "What do I wear?" I usually answer this question, "anything you feel comfortable in because being comfortable and relaxed is important when you step in front of the camera lens."

Though there was a time in history where rigid and obviously posed portraits were the style, that's not so these days. Being comfortable and relaxed during your portrait session gives you candid, happy, and more natural expressions and body language which come across in photographs as graceful, poised, and gives the emotion of love.

But, that doesn't quite answer the question of, "What do I wear?" now does it?  I get that.  I am the matriarch of a family of five. My husband and I have two different distinct styles. Add in our children  who are comprised of two teenagers with their own picky clothing choices and a pre-tween fashionista diva, well, we're a bit of a mess, to be honest. Trying to find clothing options for portraits that are both comfortable and adhere to everyone's style can be tricky. But it doesn't have to be expensive or painstaking.

Autumn is on its way, whether we like it or not.  (I'm still waiting on summer to arrive!) The fall foliage has started to change.  Temperatures are getting cooler.  Even the berries on my tree are beginning to turn deep red and the acorns are falling all over the yard.  Fall is here. So what do we think of when we think of autumn?  Hot cocoa, bond fires, pumpkin flavored everything, Thanksgiving, Halloween, and of course, switching out our wardrobes. We begin to break out our light coats, flannel shirts, boots, sweaters - oh those glorious, ever-so-soft sweaters, and jeans.

In terms of color, fall brings a plethora of deep oranges, burgundies, browns, and creams to mind. But color doesn't have to be dark fall portraits. Mix in some yellows with a scarf or a chevron skirt. Lavender is another color not often associated with fall but mixes beautiful with other tones and colors that fall brings. And although red is not a color everyone can wear (I sure can't!) and often saved for holiday portraits, subtle hints in a scarf, tie, or shoe photographs beautifully!

I've created a board on Pinterest to provide some examples of fall family portrait wardrobe to draw some inspiration. Take a look and I'm sure you'll find something to wear!! So relax. Have fun! And let's get those family portraits taken care of soon!!

Call or email me for you family's fall portraits. The scenery is beautiful and makes the perfect backdrop for your portraits!!




No comments:

Post a Comment

Hey there!! I'm so happy you are here. Feel free to leave me a message or comment!